About Us

In January 1959, meetings were held with the Bishop of the North Carolina Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and others to discuss the formation of a Lutheran Church in Davie County. Members from St. Luke's Lutheran Church in Rowan County and other interested persons attended the meeting. In June 1959, senior seminarian student Boyce D. Whitener moved to Davie County to work for the summer as a Mission Developer.

On June 7, 1959, the first worship service for the Lutheran group met at the National Guard Armory with 33 people in attendance.  In the fall of 1959, the group moved their worship services to the old Cherry Hill Lutheran Church site, which was no longer an active congregation.

Land was purchased on US Highway 601 South as the location for the newly formed church.  This purchase for $6,100 included $3,000 from the North Carolina Synod and $3,100 from the congregation.  The name of “Holy Cross” was adopted in October 1960 and the congregation was formally organized on November 13, 1960 with 72 charter members.  The new church building was built, and was dedicated in 1963.  Renovations to the building and a new entrance were completed in 1997.  Holy Cross continues to serve Davie County residents and western Rowan County residents as a community of faith.